Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Book Review: The Pale Rose

Cozy mysteries are a comfort for me. One that I use to practice my Japanese is Detective Conan, which follows a similar premise of a character whom no one expects to be the real detective. What I like about the Pale Rose is that it's an already married couple and the "detective" is decently competent.

Okay, there are exceptions to that claim, similar to many mystery shows. When the real brain appears, everyone else acts less competent. It happens here too but it's okay as there is at least one occasion where he makes up for it.

The married couple dynamic is nice and surprisingly refreshing. There is simple married life banter with no romance to distract from the mystery. That is good because all the clues needed to solve the case are given to the reader. Don't worry about this being an indie title. I only found one sentence that "agitated" me and it was unrelated to the clues. As for me, I didn't solve it despite picking up on the clues but the explanation ties all loose ends and provides that satisfying perspective change.

I enjoyed the story and look forward to reading more. Though one thing I would like to see is if the detective pair can reach the level where they don't have to lie to solve the case.

Check it out on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1475167237 

No comments:

Post a Comment